Since 1653 ...
According to the documents provided by SODEQ, manager of the Place-Royale real estate portfolio, the foundation of the first building housing our parent branch dates from 1653. This information would come from the land register.
The name of La Maison Smith honors Charles Smith and his descendants who occupied the premises for almost a hundred years during the 18th and 19th centuries. The name "La Maison Smith" as well as the year "1653" therefore correspond to a historical nod which aims to highlight the exceptional heritage of this sector by highlighting both elements from the French Regime and the Regime. English.
When we opened our fifth branch in Limoilou, we then learned that the same Charles Smith had owned an estate called Smithville, probably including our café on 3rd Avenue. This similar shopping journey reminds us of how history repeats itself!